Saturday, July 23, 2011

Calèches Working in the Heat

The calèches were out and working today at 1 p.m. -- it was already 31°C and the humidex at 43%. It felt like 37°C. The Police and the inspectors have been informed and hopefully serious action will be taken towards the drivers. As I was taking these pictures, I was verbally assaulted by the drivers and an owner. It's appalling to know that these horses are in the hands of such violent and vulgar people. If they were hoping to discourage me, it didn't work -- now I'm even more driven.


 This calèche driver above actually offered me a tour ride, when I kindly inquired about whether he was leaving...



“An owner operator may not leave a horse hitched to a vehicle between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. when the outside air temperature, as determined by Environment Canada at the Dorval Weather Office, reaches or exceeds 30°C”
 


If you witness anything:
1)TAKE THE  NUMBER OF THE CALECHE (it's on the plate at the back of the caleche)
2)CALL THE POLICE 911
3)CONTACT THE EMERGENCY NUMBERS (you'll find them on the right of this blog)
4)TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS (send them to the emails on the right and to us as well)

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I have seen this abuse of these beautiful creatures for myself recently and I was outraged as well as heartbroken. I felt I had to do something- so I started a petition on Change.org. Please stop by and sign the petition and maybe we can help put an end to this monstrous abuse of these beautiful creatures.

    http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-ban-horse-drawn-carriages-in-montreal-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your comment and your activism on this issue. I am working on a paper petition to ban the caleches, which will be circulating soon. The online petitions are easily dismissed by the government that's why I only have one targeting the media. I need more people to join the campaign. Please contact me if you wish to join forces. Together I'm sure we can help end this industry. Mirella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sent e-mails to CTV, the Metro and The Montreal Gazette- there will be more. I am trying to bring as much awareness to this issue and the plight of these horses as possible. I have hopes, as I have heard of many instances where Change.org petitions has helped the cause of many before us. Whatever I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Please do send me a private email address where I can contact you. Thanks, Mirella

    ReplyDelete